Re: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:19:46 -0800
Cc: Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> + The 'enabled' attribute on a <track> in a <trackgroup> should be invalid, as the UA is responsible for selecting the most appropriate track from the alternates.
>
> The 'enabled' attribute is expressing Web author intentions. It can of
> course be overruled by the UA, which has more information about user
> preferences etc. But I think it is important to give the Web author an
> opportunity to express what he/she intends to be on screen.

  So it is a method for the content author to indicate a track to use if no other track is selected? IOW, this example:

<trackgroup media="accessibility(captions:yes") >
  <track src="en.srt" lang="en" enabled >
  <track src="fr.srt" lang="fr" >
  <track src="de.srt" lang="de" >
</trackgroup>

 says to use "en.srt" everywhere except German and French systems?

  This seems reasonable to me.

eric