Re: Survey ready on Media Multitrack API proposal

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>
> A survey is ready on the "Media Multitrack API" draft change
> proposal.
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/multitrack-api/
>

>   I support submitting this to the WG with the following minor changes:
>   + Fix typo, METADATA_LOADED should be HAVE_METADATA.
>   + As discussed in email, remove the namedItem method.
>   + Fix typo that says all attributes are ready-only (enabled is
> read-write).
>   + Remove "media" attribute.

That's a good summary and extension of the existing list of changes. I
agree with these.

>   + Add a "src" attribute so it is possible to identify where external
> tracks come from.

Should the JavaScript API for internal tracks then return the original
resource @src value? I think that can make sense.
[Note: It could also be a Media Fragment URI that points to the track,
such as video.ogv?track="subtitle" but these are only just in the
process of being standardised. ;-) ]

There's only one open issue FAIKT:
What shall we do about the grouping. Do we want to add a @group
attribute (readonly DOMString) to the MediaTrack which can then take
on the same value for all the tracks that belong to the same group
(e.g. "1")? Or shall we just not worry about this for the moment since
it is not very common in MPEG files and doesn't exist (yet) in Ogg
files? We can always add a solution to this later.