Re: Survey ready on Media Text Associations proposal

From: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:56:39 -0800
To: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
CC: Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Mar 4, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Eric Carlson wrote:
> I generally agree with this proposal, but would like to see the following changes before we submit it to the WG:
>
> + We should not mandate DFXP at this time. It has many features that will complicate implementation significantly which are not needed for this proposal. I think we should help define a DFXP profile that is more suitable for our needs.

There is already a minimal profile in the DFXP spec itself.

http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#profile-dfxp-presentation

Functionally, it doesn't ask any more than SRT does. It's really just adding begin, dur and end attributes to a half-dozen elements that already exist in HTML. But, and here's the important part, it's extensible.

I think basing HTML5 captioning support solely on such a limited format as SRT would be a serious mistake.

-