Re: generated content Re: Table Summary Change Proposal

Maciej Stachowiak, Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:55:03 -0800:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak, Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:37:45 -0800:
>>> I cannot reproduce the bug. Safari+VoiceOver reads the generated
>>> content in this case, as far as I can tell.
>>
>> In Safari version 4.0.4 (5531.21.10) on PPC for OS X 10.5, no it
>> doesn't.
>>
>> In Webkit latest nightly, same OS and platform, yes it does.
>
> I didn't test, but it seems plausible this is a bug we fixed since
> 4.0.4. We've made a lot of improvements to our accessibility code
> lately.

If so, then what about - ahem  - @summary? ;-)

And also, if you would like to support the workaround to use generated
content like Charles supported, then you need to look at what happens
if you add a border to that table. E.g. try this:

    table:before { content: attr(summary);position:absolute;left:300px }
    table {border:1px solid}

And also what happens when there already is a real <caption> in the
table. Both those issues interferes with this - effectively - generated
"summary caption".

PS: If you fix these issues, then you are also preparing the ground for
second caption ... So perhaps you should not do it ... ;-)

PPS: These things are buggy in Opera as well.
--
leif halvard silli