Re: generated content Re: Table Summary Change Proposal

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:47:00 +0100
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Charles McCathieNevile, Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:27:21 +0100:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 15:42:57 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli:

>> http://målform.no/html5/summary+css

>> The problem is that VoiceOver, which doesn't read @summary, also
>> doesn't read it when it has been made visible via CSS (generated
>> content).

> This is not VoiceOver, but a Safari bug. By design Opera exposes generated
> content to screen readers, so the summary attribute on a table can be
> rendered.

> I have attached a screenshot of the relevant caption (if you don't know
> it, VoiceOver caption is good) with the summary attribute announced along
> with the fact that you are at a table for those who are interested. In any
> case when screen reader compatibility is complet we would be able to
> render the summary through any screen reader, including Voice Over -
> either with native features of the screen reader, or as a browser
> functionality (which might take a little longer to code).

Cool! Thanks for the info. I find VoiceOver a little difficult to use.
But I have managed to use in Safari and iCab, but not in Opera. In
Opera then it somehow stops reading when it comes to the table - or
whatever. VoiceOVer is operate the same way in Opera as in Safari?
--
leif halvard silli