Re: summarization information delivery options: attribute or element

From: Shelley Powers <shelleypowers@burningbird.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:59:42 -0600
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, 'Joshue O Connor' <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, 'Laura Carlson' <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, 'Gez Lemon' <g.lemon@webprofession.com>, "'Gregory J. Rosmaita'" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Though technically not a _new_ element [1], using
>> two captions on a table is not, I believe, an enhancement that will
>> degrade gracefully with older user agents.
>>
>> Firefox doesn't print out the second caption, as Leif states in his
>> change proposal, but that's not a behavior we can count on.
>>

> Right. We need support in more than one UA.

Unfortunately, the second caption is not backwards compatible. It breaks
with existing and older browsers.
>> Opera
>> does print out the second caption. Safari and Chrome do not. IE does.
>> NVDA says one caption when the page is loaded in Firefox. NVDA says
>> both captions, when the page is loaded in IE.
>>
>> The results we will get for a second caption are unreliable.
>>

> My CP specifically says that we must investigate what the best CSS is.
> It sounds from your description like NVDA behaves very much like
> VoiceOver does: It only reads that what is somehow visible. VoiceOver
> e.g. doesn't read the content of @summary. Thus it reads the second
> caption, but only when it is somehow visible.
>
> So, can you also tell us how NVDA behaves with regard to @summary?

It worked on mouse over. It might work in other ways, but that was the
only one I tried. I'm still pretty new to NVDA.

Shelley