Re: draft of HTML to Platform Accessibility API mapping table

From: David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:21:38 -0400
To: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
CC: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Cynthia,

Sorry for the delay in proofing this; and I probably don't have the
right context for this document but I'd like clarification on why ARIA
is included as a mapping here. As we know, ARIA is quite a different
animal than desktop accessibility API. I worry that including it among
MSAA etc. is going to cause confusion to readers. The concept of mapping
to ARIA from HTML is presumably included for DOM based AT (which don't
really exist yet), but DOM based AT could do this mapping themselves as
they see fit right? I mean if the semantics are already there in the
HTML element, why map to ARIA? ARIA was invented purely to override the
HTML semantics for cases where the HTML semantics are broken visually
(overridden) by DHTML techniques.

To be clear, no one is suggesting the browser will itself automatically
add aria attributes to the DOM right?

cheers,
David