W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > June 2010

Media Subteam Minutes for Wednesday 16 June

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:49:21 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20100616234921.GQ2060@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from today's HTML-A11Y Task Force Media Subteam teleconference
are provided below in text and are available in html at:
http://www.w3.org/2010/06/16-html-a11y-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                                    HTML a11y media subgroup

16 Jun 2010

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina, Judy, Silvia, Sean, MikeSmith, Eric

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          MikeSmith

Contents

     * Topics
         1. starting to review document at http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080526_media-requirements/results#xq19
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <Judy> silvia, do you plan to join?

   <silvia> I have a busy schedule today, sorry

   <silvia> if you need me, just type my name and I can join though

   <janina> 4http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080526_media-requirements/results

   <janina> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements

   <Judy> ---------------------------

   <scribe> scribe: MikeSmith

starting to review document at http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080526_media-requirements/results#xq19

   Sean Hayes has joined

   John Foliot is out today, Janina is chairing

   [reviewing requirements together]

   janina: we did not make an representations that we would reply to people's comments
   ... so no action necessarily needed here

   silvia: I suggest putting a reply to this question in the minutes

   [discussion is about comment regarding inclusion of markup for speech synthesis]

   answer to question about whether such formats exist: Yes

   Sean: Timed Text can also be used for speech markup...

   [going on to next comment from Philip J]

   the comment: "Is copyright information and usage rights really relevant to users of this technology? It seems like a
   general requirements unrelated to accessibility which should be suggested for <audio>/<video>, if at all."

   silvia: it's good to have it in the requirements, but it should be solved more generally
   ... e.g., as is being done in the Media Annotations WG

   Judy: so remove it? keep it but tie it to other work?
   ... is there a suggestion?

   Eric: I would suggest it be listed as a general requirement any time we pull in resources that are not the [master
   media resource]

   <silvia>
   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements#Production_practice_and_resulting_requirements

   Eric: I think we should remove it from this section
   ... because we are otherwise implying that it's not important in other sections as well

   [we have agreement to remove it from this section]

   [Silvia is making changes to the source live]

   janina: resolution on TAD-3 is "if you can support it, you should"

   Philip's comment about that was, "Sounds like a quality of implementation issue for UAs, not something all UAs will be
   able to do on all platforms"

   [no objections to making that change]

   janina: this is a UA issue, not a user issue

   Eric: this is one of those that there is no way to support on all platforms

   silvia: we should document what we expect the default/minimum to be

   Eric: it won't be a very good user experience if a UA is not able to handle it
   ... because the descriptions will be out of sync

   janina: I can't see this being used in, say, a Hollywood movie
   ... it seems like something that's limited to the case of using in an [instructional context only]
   ... this is new ground here.. brand new... have not had this ability in the past

   [we are btw discussing TAD-4]

   Eric: amount that a UA keeps buffered is not infinite

   [changes made to requirements doc]

   moving on to comment from Eric: "If we want people to be able to create interoperable pages, this requirement must
   specify a TAD file format.

   "

   plus:

   (TAD-1), (TAD-2), (TAD-4), and (TAD-5) Aren't these all requirements for the TAD file format?

   (TAD-3) This won't be possible on all platforms, for example devices that only allow one mode of audio output.

   "

   janina: I think, Eric, I agree with you

   <scribe> ACTION: janina to add some introductory text to requirement docs clarifying that these are user requirements,
   not necessarily UA requirements [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-50 - Add some introductory text to requirement docs clarifying that these are user
   requirements, not necessarily UA requirements [on Janina Sajka - due 2010-06-23].

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: janina to add some introductory text to requirement docs clarifying that these are user requirements, not
   necessarily UA requirements [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/16-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: MikeSmith
Present: Janina Judy Silvia Sean MikeSmith Eric
People with action items: janina

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Wednesday, 16 June 2010 23:49:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:12 GMT