Re: Alternate CP to resolve ISSUE-74 (also resolves ISSUE-105)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:58:59 +0200
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:15:53 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile, Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:39:58 +0200:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:33:23 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile:
>>
>>> I'll try to update
>>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Map4NotAdom with this
>>> content in the next hour or so,
>>
>> Done, plus I got a big chunk of the way through the details section -
> (1) I notice that you, unlike how Steve and John have said (I believe),
> pose this solution as a *replacement of* - and not an alternative to -
> the accessible DOM. I believe you have had that approach the whole
> time, because the proposal has had the direction "HTML 4 Maps, not
> accessible DOM" all the time.

I have always had that approach. This proposal is technically compatible
with the nonav proposal (or even with what Ian has currently), but for
reasons I hope are outlined in the proposal rationale already I think it
is better to have one approach, and I believe this is the simplest for
authors.

> (2) May be you should push (harder) on the fact that this solution is
> more compatible with the 1001 variations of "Don't reinvent the
> cow/path/wheel" in our Design Principles, than the aDOM. ;-)

Yes. That's an important part of why I think this approach makes sense.

cheers

Chaals