Ensuring HTML5 drag and drop events can be activated by keyboard-only users

From: Gez Lemon <g.lemon@webprofession.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:21:31 +0100
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

At last week's teleconference, Rich suggested that I follow-up with an
email to this group outlining what is required to make drag and drop
accessible with HTML5. As I mentioned last week, event names are
defined in a device independent way in the HTML specification, so
should be able to be made accessible to keyboard only users. The HTML5
drag and drop mechanism defines seven events:

* dragstart (initiate the drag and drop operation)

* drag (continue drag and drop operation)

* dragenter (determine if accepted)

* dragleave (leaving a target)

* dragover (provide feedback to user)

* drop (complete the operation)

* dragend (tidy up)

These events cannot currently be activated using the keyboard alone in
user agents. The drag and drop processing model is defined in the
HTML5 specification:

The first thing we need is feedback from browser manufacturers to
determine if these events can be fired using the keyboard alone
resulting in an accessible workflow.

Supplement your vitamins