RE: aside and figure elements

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:51:55 +0200
To: Dean Leigh <dean.leigh@deanleigh.co.uk>
Cc: 'Laura Carlson' <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, 'Bruce Lawson' <brucel@opera.com>, 'Shelley Powers' <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, 'HTML Accessibility Task Force' <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Dean Leigh, Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:25:48 +0100:
> Hi Leif,
>>> <aside> cannot be moved to another context without losing a lot of
>>> its original meaning. If you lose the link to the context - in any
>>> meaning of "link" - the <aside> stops functioning as an aside.
>
> Again I would recommend using something like ID and for="" to link the
> <aside> to its relevant content.

> <article id=season1> [ snip ] </article>
   [ snip ]
> <h1>Additional seasonal facts<h1> (possibly in the right column but could be
> anywhere on the page)
> <aside for=season1>Spring is usually accompanied by birdsong</ aside>

> This keeps the relationship separate from presentation but accessible to
> readers, UAs and easy to style with CSS.

Question: Does "something like ID and for=''" for this use case exist
in WAI-ARIA?
Answer: I could not see anything:

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/states_and_properties#state_prop_def
        To use aria-describedby
		(<article aria-describedby="aside-for-season1">)
        does not seem correct for something that is supposed to be only
        "content that is tangentially related".
        http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/sections.html#the-aside-element

Otherwise, if the <aside> doesn't appear in its logical context (that
is: nested inside the <article>, close to the issue that the issue that
the <aside> is an aside to - as HTML5 says "related to the content
_around_ the aside element"), then I guess you can just use an <a>
element in order to link from (some place in) the article to the
<aside>. You may also want to link back to article again as well

Also, if you keep the <aside>s as logically/systematically ordered as
you do here (with their own heading element), then it should be easy
for anyone to find them.
--
leif halvard silli