Re: aside and figure elements

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:23:20 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "Shelley Powers" <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:12:42 +0100, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Another option would be to restrict figure to just images and forget
>>> it as a grouping mechanism.
>>
>> That's unacceptable.
> Maybe. Maybe not. I'm open to ways of clearing up the confusion and
> ambiguity. That would be one way.

I couldn't accept that; it's throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I'd rather some ambiguity between aside and figure in edge cases than the
inability to have a video or a data table as an illustrative figure.

(As always, I'm speaking personally, not for my employer)

--
Hang loose and stay groovy,

Bruce Lawson
Web Evangelist