Re: Media--Technical Implications of Our User Requirements

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> >
>> > But youtube, for example, does have annotations with hyperlinks in
>> > them. They're not captions, but they're still timed text content that
>> > contain hyperlinks.
>>
>> Do we need YouTube-style annotation to be a built-in feature of the
>> <video> element? Or would it be sufficient to make the <video> element
>> capable enough that YouTube or other sites could build similar features
>> themselves out of the primitives provided
>
> Indeed it seems unlikely that YouTube would want to use a built-in
> feature for the presentational aspects of this, since doing so would limit
> what they could do in the future to whatever we supported in the spec.
> This is the kind of things for which I think it would make more sense to
> provide hooks to allow Web page authors to do whatever they want with the
> <video> timing model merely being used as infrastructure.

I would agree with this statement if we restricted what is possible in
a caption cue. However, I don't see a need for this. If we, instead,
simply allow what is possible in a HTML div, I don't see this as an
issue - it would not limit what can be done in a cue and it would be
easy to implement by browsers since it would just be parsed as
innerHTML, for which all parsing functionality is already available.