Re: Alt change proposal based on WAI CG advice for HTMLWG Issue 31: Rationale needed. (was FIGCAPTION, @alt, and @labelledby: 3 issues)

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:10:04 -0500
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi  Steve,

> I am inclined not to support the aria-label attribute as being conforming
> (on img) without some other method also being used
> (alt/labelledby/figcaption) as:
>
> it serves the same function as alt (for user agents that convey content
> derived from accessibility APIs), but it has not been specified that non AT
> user agents should do anything with its content apart from map it to an
> accessibility APIs accessible name property, unlike alt content which is
> displayed when images are disabled or not supported in graphical user
> agents.
>
> If graphical user agents did expose or be expected to expose it in the same
> way they expose alt then it would make more sense for it to be used as a
> substitute for alt in terms of HTML5 document conformance.
>
> This is not to say that use of aria-label should be non-conforming, just
> that it it should not be used as a substitute for alt.
>
> also it is not currently supported by any user agents (to my knowledge).

Okay. I'll remove it now from the proposal. Your explanation makes
sense. aria-labelled  was not part of the WAI CG recommendation
either. Janina had asked me to add aria-labelled to the proposal back
in April [2], which I did on provision that no one objected to it [1].

> will get back to you on role="presentation".

That would be great. Thank you.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Apr/0211.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Apr/0215.html