W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > January 2010

minutes: HTML A11y Task Force call 2010-01-21 [draft]

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 02:24:40 +0000
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Message-Id: <20100122022347.M90235@hicom.net>
aloha!

minutes from the 21 January 2010 HTML Accessibility Task Force telecon
are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-minutes.html

as an IRC log at:

http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-irc

and as plain text following my signature; thanks to Mike Smith not only 
for chairing, but for picking up the scribing towards the last portion 
of the meeting when i lost my IRC connection -- as usual, comments, 
corrections, mis-attributions and the like should be logged by 
replying-to this announcement on-list.

note that 1 new action item was logged at today's HTML A11y TF call:

   * ACTION-14: GJR - work with Canvas sub-group on tactile and 
     braille media types/groups proposal for CSS WG [recorded in
     http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
       * http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/14

the next HTML Accessibility Task Force meeting will be held on 
28 January 2010 at 1600h UTC

thanks, gregory.

     _________________________________________________________________

                                   - DRAFT -

                 HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

21 Jan 2010

Agenda: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0231.html

   See also: IRC log [http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-irc]

Attendees

   Present
          Michael_Cooper, Gregory_Rosmaita, John_Foliot, Steven_Faulkner,
          Wendy_Chisholm, Jon_Gunderson, Ben_Caldwell, Erik_Carlson,
          Denis_Boudreau, Paul_Cotton, Marco_Ranon, Martin_Kliehm,
          Mike_Smith, Charles_McCathieNevile, Janina_Sajka, Geoff_Freed,
          Markku_Hakkinen

   Regrets
          Laura_Carlson, Kelly_Ford, Bruce_Lawson, Gez_Lemon,
          Aurélien_Levy, Sylvia_Phieffer

   Chair
          Mike_Smith

   Scribe
          oedipus

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Review open action items
         2. reports from TF Subgroups (Canvas; Video; ...)
         3. reports from TF subgroups
         4. Review of "a11y" bugs
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 21 January 2010

   <kliehm> that me

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/

Review open action items

   <MikeSmith> action-6?

   <trackbot> ACTION-6 -- Richard Schwerdtfeger to address fragments
   versus entire pages as alternatives with HTML WG members -- due
   2010-01-21 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/6

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/overdue

   <MikeSmith> action-6 due 01-28

   <trackbot> ACTION-6 address fragments versus entire pages as
   alternatives with HTML WG members due date now 01-28

   <MikeSmith> action-7?

   <trackbot> ACTION-7 -- Gregory Rosmaita to propose braille media type
   (as opposed to simply tactile) or sub-type after consulting with
   Braille-in-DAISY and others -- due 2010-01-15 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/7

   <gfreed> yes, it is.

   <scribe> scribe: oedipus

   <MikeSmith> action-7: this action has been completed and next steps
   include taking a proposal to CSS WG

   <trackbot> ACTION-7 propose braille media type (as opposed to simply
   tactile) or sub-type after consulting with Braille-in-DAISY and others
   notes added

   <MikeSmith> close action-7

   <trackbot> ACTION-7 propose braille media type (as opposed to simply
   tactile) or sub-type after consulting with Braille-in-DAISY and others
   closed

   <mhakkinen> i called in ... might be pp8

   <gfreed> yes, 300 is gfreed at wgbh.

   <scribe> ACTION: GJR - work with Canvas sub-group on tactile and
   braille media types/groups proposal for CSS WG [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-14 - - work with Canvas sub-group on tactile
   and braille media types/groups proposal for CSS WG [on Gregory
   Rosmaita - due 2010-01-28].

   <MichaelC> Geoff_Freed is Markku_Hakkinen

   <MichaelC> zaki, Geoff_Freed is Markku_Hakkinen

   <MikeSmith> action-14 due 2010-02-14

   <trackbot> ACTION-14 - work with Canvas sub-group on tactile and
   braille media types/groups proposal for CSS WG due date now 2010-02-14

   MS: closed ACTION-7, created ACTION-14 on GJR
   ... ACTION-9 - Coooper and i discussed; tracker may not have been
   updated

   <MikeSmith> action-9?

   <trackbot> ACTION-9 -- Michael Cooper to make a proposal for which
   bugs we should take on, for review at next meeting -- due 2010-01-21
   -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/9

   MC: sent email linked to action before call; identify 10 categories to
   focus on; other matters need attention, but TF probably not best place
   for them

   MS: ok

   <MikeSmith> action-9: MichaelC sent e-mail summary on 01-21

   <trackbot> ACTION-9 Make a proposal for which bugs we should take on,
   for review at next meeting notes added

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0245.html

   MS: close Action-9

   <MikeSmith> close action-9

   <trackbot> ACTION-9 Make a proposal for which bugs we should take on,
   for review at next meeting closed

   MS: need to keep that summary list for later reference
   ... Action 10 on GJR

   <MikeSmith> action-10?

   <trackbot> ACTION-10 -- Gregory Rosmaita to work with Wendy on
   user-side of what AT needs in order to communicate meaningful info to
   AT user -- due 2010-01-21 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/10

   GJR: tied to wendy action -- talked to her, but couldn't make
   connection

   MS: title on Action 11 not clear

   wendy?

   JS need timeline; extend action 11 for 1 week -- reassigned to wendy
   per discussion at 2010-01-21 HTML A11y TF

   MS: action 11 open - please communicate by email or at next call

   <MikeSmith> action-11 due 2010-01-11

   <trackbot> ACTION-11 - report on timeline for summary verbiage about
   what AT needs to communicate and report back to HTML5 A11y TF due date
   now 2010-01-11

   <MikeSmith> close action-10

   <trackbot> ACTION-10 Work with Wendy on user-side of what AT needs in
   order to communicate meaningful info to AT user closed

   MS: close action 10?

   GJR: yes

   MS: Action 12 - http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/12 - not
   due until next week
   ... Ensure there is a dependency between the HTML5 specification and
   the HTML 5 2D Context specification to ensure that the author has the
   ability to set the visible focus, for <canvas>, to ensure that a
   magnifier may follow the visual focus. This would be driven by the
   shadow DOM

   <MikeSmith> action-12?

   <trackbot> ACTION-12 -- Steve Faulkner to ensure there is a dependency
   between the HTML5 specification and the HTML 5 2D Context
   specification to ensure that the author has the ability to set the
   visible focus, for <canvas>, to ensure that a magnifier may follow the
   visual focus. This would be driven by the shadow DOM. -- due
   2010-01-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/12

   SF: been in lots of discussion on this topic over past few days; get
   formal understanding of it and report back to TF

   MS: ok, keep open - not due today anyway

   <MikeSmith> action-12: Steve continues to work on this

   <trackbot> ACTION-12 Ensure there is a dependency between the HTML5
   specification and the HTML 5 2D Context specification to ensure that
   the author has the ability to set the visible focus, for <canvas>, to
   ensure that a magnifier may follow the visual focus. This would be
   driven by the shadow DOM. notes added

   <MikeSmith> action-13?

   <trackbot> ACTION-13 -- Cynthia Shelly to create a change proposal for
   table summary -- due 2010-01-21 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/13

   MS: action 13 - http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/13

   CS: just sent to list few minutes ago

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0249.html

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Summary_Change_Proposal_Nov_18%2C_2
   009

   MS: we can say that this reflects consensus of Task Force?

   CS: i believe so

   JS: not having read latest yet, don't want to say, but expect need a
   bit of discussion perhaps today or next week; need to focus on
   finalizing and transmission to HTML WG

   CS: but action done
   ... please add as agenda item next week

   PC: why not do call for consensus via email on proposal

   JS: not bad idea - problem with email is counting noses

   <MikeSmith> action-13: message from Cynthia -
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0249.html

   <trackbot> ACTION-13 create a change proposal for table summary notes
   added

   JS: suggest for chairs meeting, use web survey mechanism for polling -
   gives reliable account qickly

   PC: thought TF already worked on this and need to ensure reflects
   decisions; asking for last check, don't need survey

   CS: is not unanimity on proposal - may be easiest to determine
   majority/minority with a survey

   PC: if put of discussion for a week, will be 2 weeks before gets to
   HTML WG

   MS: call for consensus via email one expeditious means of dealing with
   this

   <MikeSmith> close action-13

   <trackbot> ACTION-13 create a change proposal for table summary closed

   MS: for now, will close action 13

   CS: discuss next week?

   JS: expect so

   PC: HTML WG action 170 at WG level due next week
   ... status of that work?

   JS: in process
   ... not forgotten or languishing

reports from TF Subgroups (Canvas; Video; ...)

   <MikeSmith> Paul asked about HTML WG action 170

reports from TF subgroups

   JF: steve and i had conversation this week; need to kick something
   into gear;
   ... series of basic questions to consider; first step: get questions
   out for general discussion
   ... situation right now; proof-of-concepts for providing captions -
   which directions do we want to focus on - many possibilities emerging
   ... timing, timestamp formate, etc.
   ... need to articulate questions and get open to public
   ... aware of urgency

   MS: others help?

   GJR: make wiki page with questoins on TF wiki?

   JF: can't think of anything offhand - need to review past work and
   past resources; whole bunch of work done in mozilla; javascript to
   provide captions been demonstrated
   ... will take responsibility to get before the public

   SF: what is current status: still need additional code in HTML5 to
   provide, or about evangelizing and using external methods

   <Laura> Dave started a Multimedia Q&A Wiki Page:
   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Multimedia_Q%26A

   JF: fundamental question; seen 2 very distinct solutions proferred;
   there are existing solutions do we want to explore each or get down
   and dirty, require captioning and detail requirements and methods

   <Joshue> There seems to be even no consensus about a lot of stuff with
   <canvas> such as what a shadow DOM is.

   JF: do it for reason Y and here are methods; don't know answer off top
   of head

   MS: need to check in again and make an assessment of how much has been
   done, current state of art; maybe need additional people in multimedia
   sub-group

   JF: by next week's call will have list of questions - post to maililng
   list first

   SF: can give quick update on CANVAS
   ... low attendance at meetings
   ... changes as far as providing focus - drawing focus rectangle on
   CANVAS and also interactivity with elements in CANVAS sub-DOM
   ... looks promising from my perspective
   ... outreach being made to developers
   ... media queries for providing alternative content for CANVAS - more
   problematic; not agreed to within sub-group
   ... RichS running discussions down; working on proposal

   MS: seems like deliverable for CANVAS discussion is the spec, right?

   SF: right

   MS: any editors writing that spec?

   SF: RichS writing portion of text for spec
   ... concept of CANVAS fallback is no longer suitable concept for what
   is in canvas sub-DOM; appears that providing interattion with elements
   in sub-DOM may be mainstream way for devs to have directives /
   controls that only appear on canvas, but user can still interact with
   elements in sub-DOM itself, so saying "this is fallback" is no longer
   correct

   JS: why a subgroup - a lot to consider

   <MikeSmith> q

   <Joshue> Thanks to Chaals for explaining the murky world of the shadow
   DOM!

   <MikeSmith> wendy: regarding "ACTION-11 - report on timeline for
   summary verbiage about what AT needs to communicate and report back to
   HTML5 A11y TF" do you have a timeline to report today?

   <Stevef> canvas image map example:
   http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/canvas-pie/pie.html

   <MikeSmith> action-11 due 2010-02-04

   <trackbot> ACTION-11 - report on timeline for summary verbiage about
   what AT needs to communicate and report back to HTML5 A11y TF due date
   now 2010-02-04

   <MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/201001_ftf/

   <MikeSmith> MikeSmith: TF members who have not responded to that
   survey should please do so

   <Marco_Ranon> i will after speaking to my line manager tomorow

   <wendy> is it possible to co-locate it with www or csun?

Review of "a11y" bugs

   <MikeSmith>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0245.html

   <paulc> Leaving to go to HTML WG meeting.

   <kliehm> Just contacted Julian Viereck (http://twitter.com/jviereck),
   one of the lead developers of Bespin, and invited him to the TF Canvas
   Subgroup. When is the weekly telcon?

   <Stevef> kliehm:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0044.html

   <MikeSmith> we'll be back next week, with Janina chairing

   <dboudreau> take care all

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: GJR - work with Canvas sub-group on tactile and braille
   media types/groups proposal for CSS WG [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2010/01/21-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________
Received on Friday, 22 January 2010 02:25:11 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:00 GMT