Re: Taking another round at @summary

On 2010-01-05, at 6:24 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Nobody is suggesting making tables less accessible. The proposal in the
> spec is to make pages _more_ accessible by transitioning from using
> summary="" to using a variety of more effective techniques.

I agree. But nobody has suggested otherwise.

Some people believe @summary needs to be replaced by something better because it's not used properly, it's technologically outdated, no geeky enough, whatever.

Others think that we should simply do a little more education and outreach so authors finally learn to use it properly. We've pulled stunts like that before on much more complicated stuff.

Why couldn't we fix what's broken instead of reinventing a wheel that a lot of AT users won't be able to benefit from because they'll remain stuck with their old AT versions that won't support all this new "variety of more effective techniques"?

--
Denis Boudreau,
Président

Coopérative AccessibilitéWeb