Re: summarization information delivery options: attribute or element

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:43:15 +0000
To: Gez Lemon <g.lemon@webprofession.com>
CC: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
Gez Lemon wrote:
> Ultimately, I think our different points of view are based around
> whether the summary should provide a concise overview of the
> structure, or whether it's a long description for the data table. I'm
> of the opinion it's the former, and respect that you and many others
> are of the opinion that it's the latter.

I don't see why it can't be both (as needed) - relatively trivial to
make this is the case /but/ what I really want to know is.. :-)

1) Are we missing a trick by not bringing an element to the table (in
terms of better /potential/ etc)?
2) Will the @summary attribute stand the test of time with it limited
ability?
3) Is there now really just an opportunity to do /more/ with @summary?
4) and finally could this potential/change/pimping of @summary as is, be
detrimental to the current user groups who do find it useful?

What do y'all think?

Cheers

Josh