Re: Survey ready on canvas proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:43:47 -0800
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Hi Richard,

Thanks again for clarifying on my previous point. I thought of another
question. (Question and supporting remarks are with co-chair hat off.)

Is it intended that use of the @adom attribute is mandatory for
conforming content? I know the draft doesn't say that it is currently,
but I wonder if that is the intent.

Here is why I ask: If @adom is not mandatory, then it seems that
authors who omit it probably cannot meet the current accessibility
conformance requirements for <canvas> in the HTML5 draft. So to make
this possible, it seems the HTML5 draft would have to change to make
it conforming to have a non-accessible <canvas>. Is that what we want?
On the other hand, if @adom *is* mandatory for conformance, then it
seems like all we'd be doing is renaming the canvas tag.

Regards,
Maciej