Re: Survey ready on canvas proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:35:45 -0800
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Michael Cooper wrote:

> There is a one-question survey ready on the proposal from the canvas
> sub-team:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20100225_canvas/
>
> Please take a moment to provide your view. While the survey will be
> open until Thursday, if you can, try to provide your input by the
> end of Wednesday in order to allow input to be incorporated prior to
> Thursday discussions.

I'd like to ask for a clarification on something that is not fully
clear to me from the proposed spec changes. If adom is not set, are
user agents forbidden to expose the children of <canvas> to assistive
technologies? Or is it meant as a hint that they don't need to, and
the contents may not meet the stated requirements?

Specifically, this is the sentence that is not totally clear to me:

  "The default value for adom is false to indicate that the canvas
subtree is only used as fallback content and may not be used as an
accessible DOM subtree representation of what is drawn on canvas."

Is the "may not" in that sentence meant to be a UA requirement, and is
it meant to be mandatory or optional? Does "used as an accessible DOM
subtree representation of what is drawn on canvas" apply to any form
of exposing the content to AT?

Regards,
Maciej