Re: HTML 5, SMIL, Video

On Feb 22, 2010, at 12:18 AM, John Foliot wrote:

>> However, there must be some order of priorities and I think reaching a
>> consensus on a complex format and having inter-operable implementations
>> shipped in several browsers is still years away.
>
> ...and so I would suggest that a high priority of ensuring that an XML
> marked transcript format, as a required format that browsers MUST support,
> is important - no IMHO it's critical. SmilText, full blown DFXP, or
> something different again; what is important is that *one* such format is
> supported out of the gate.

  I agree that we need to agree on a "richer" caption format, but are we really in such a rush to nail down which format this minute? While we can't deliberate forever, we also don't want to choose capriciously. Implementing support for even a simple format like SRT will be a significant amount of work, and adding the extra features of another format like smilText or DXFP will be significantly more work, so we must choose carefully.

eric