Re: HTML 5, SMIL, Video

From: Dick Bulterman <Dick.Bulterman@cwi.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:52:41 +0100
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, markku.hakkinen@gmail.com, symm@w3.org
Hi all,

I think that Philip's answer is refreshingly honest. If I may
paraphrase, it is: I don't know anything about the alternative, but I
don't think we'll choose it.

I hope you appreciate that this is a frustrating standpoint for those of
us who actually HAVE thought about the short-, middle- and long-term
aspects of captions, subtitles, timed labels and motion text, both
within and outside of a document.

Of course, we could follow Silvia suggest to add yet another format for
in-line text. Maybe I'm just hopelessly ignorant in thinking that
modular functionally, extensibility and reuse make a positive difference
for addressing a11y concerns. Who knows, maybe the short-term is all
that really matters.

I'm away for our February vacation in Holland this coming week -- I'll
check the list sporadically, but may not be in a position to provide
daily fodder.

cheers,
-d.