Re: minutes: Canvas sub-group HTML A11y Task Force telecon, 2010-02-15 [draft]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:59:30 +0100, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> 20:40:11 [richardschwerdtfe]
> Authors MUST render visible focus of the ADOM subtree element in the
> canvas area
> Authors MUST render visible focus of the canvas subtree element in the
> canvas area
> Authors MUST render visible focus of the canvas subtree element on the
> rendered canvas

As far as I can tell, by using an image map to represent areas sensitive
to user input, all of these things are automatically managed by the User
Agent in pretty much every modern user agent (starting with lynx). There
is a bug in some versions of Opera which prevents an imagemap inside the
canvas from being recognised - this is fixed in current builds of Opera
10.5 and should remain fixed.

> Authors MUST render the keyboard caret insertion cursor of the canvas
> subtree element on the rendered canvas

I'm not sure about handling this one completely automagically, but the use
of either forms, or existing editable HTML elements may again provide this
easily.

> 20:42:40 [cyns]
> authored content SHOULD respond to system settings for font, color and
> zoom.
> Authors SHOULD should ensure that the rendered canvas responds to
> system settings for font, color and zoom
> Authors SHOULD should ensure that the rendered canvas responds to
> system settings for font, color and zoom
> Authors SHOULD should ensure that the rendered canvas responds to
> system settings for font, color and zoom
> 20:46:06 [richardschwerdtfe]
> Define user settings as system, user agent, or web application settings

This stuff is trickier. We need to describe how the author would find out
what those settings are if they are using canvas (although I also need to
read up on the canvas text API to make sure I'm not missing something
basic).

cheers

Chaals