W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > February 2010

[Bug 8827] Inappropriate spec text and advice where images are not known

From: <bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:12:07 +0000
To: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Message-Id: <E1NgbSR-00082c-NH@wiggum.w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8827


Ian 'Hixie' Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|NEW                         |RESOLVED
         Resolution|                            |WONTFIX




--- Comment #5 from Ian 'Hixie' Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>  2010-02-14 10:12:07 ---
EDITOR'S RESPONSE: This is an Editor's Response to your comment. If you are
satisfied with this response, please change the state of this bug to CLOSED. If
you have additional information and would like the editor to reconsider, please
reopen this bug. If you would like to escalate the issue to the full HTML
Working Group, please add the TrackerRequest keyword to this bug, and suggest
title and text for the tracker issue; or you may create a tracker issue
yourself, if you are able to do so. For more details, see this document:
   http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html

Status: Rejected
Change Description: no spec change
Rationale:

> The spec state:
> 
> <q>
> "In some unfortunate cases, there might be no alternative text available at
> all," 
> </q>
> 
> The use of the word 'unfortunate' is inappropriate. The issue being outline is
> merely and edge case, and should not be defined using such language as
> 'unfortunate' - as that has other connotations regarding disability that should
> not be inferred. More neutral and objective language should be used in a
> technical specification.

I disagree. This is author-facing text, and it's critical that we repeatedly
convey that not having alternative text is bad. Using the word "unfortunate"
here is a good way of doing this subtly.


> <q>
> or because the author does not himself know what the images represent (e.g. a
> blind photographer sharing an image on his blog).
> </q>
> 
> This last example is misleading. A blind photographer /will/ know the context
> within which pictures are taken, and therefore will be able to provide a
> suitable alternate description (contrary to what the spec text currently
> states).

This example is actually taken from a blind accessibility expert. See section
1.4 of:

  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/att-0829/image-alt.html


Comments 1-4 appear to be about a different issue, so I haven't replied to them
here. Please keep each issue to its own bug. Thanks!


-- 
Configure bugmail: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug.
Received on Sunday, 14 February 2010 10:12:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:02 GMT