Re: Media Gaps Document--36 Hour Consensus Call

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:09:45 +0000
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> Our purpose during the telecon was to find some phrase that would convey
> a significant adoption level for SRT. It was felt that noting adoption
> of TTML should, in fairness, have some parallel indication for SRT.
>

> If there's a better way to do that, a better phrasing, this is a good
> time to indicate, as accurately and nonprejudicially as we can what the
> correct representation of adoption for both TTML and SRT is. At the
> moment, I don't have a better suggestion than reinserting "widely
> adopted." But, there may be a better way, and we should think of that
> over the next hours.
>
> Anyone with a suggestion?

Yes.

People have put forward various bits of evidence for the wide adoption
of SRT (e.g. recommended by Youtube, supported by many "professional
entities" (whatever those are - would be good to qualify this), at
least 264,000 files indexed by Google). If the interpretation of the
evidence is disputed, then just give the evidence rather than trying
to come up with a pithy phrase to summarize it.

Do the same for TTML.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis