Re: Fw: Use of ARIA markup for rich text editing

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:00:31 +0000
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: franko@microsoft.com, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, david.bolter@gmail.com, public-html-a11y@w3.org, faulkner.steve@gmail.com, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> <mark aria-selected="true"></mark> would represent a collapsed selection and
> therefore a caret similar to the terminology used in webkit and Firefox.

a) Won't this require updates to WAI-ARIA too, since WAI-ARIA does not
define aria-selected to indicate a text selection or caret, or indeed
to have any meaning without reference to a "gridcell", "option",
"row", or "tab" role?

b) Can someone kindly explain what problem "aria-selected" is solving
here that the existing DOM selection querying and mutation APIs cannot
solve? You said before "to have a caret we would need to use either a
textfield or a contenteditable area". Why would this constraint be a
problem, given we're talking about a "canvas" sub-dom?

c) "Authors would be required to mark the areas accordingly." What
areas when what happens, precisely?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis