Re: [media] handling multitrack audio / video

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:41:56 -0800
Cc: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> For #3 there is not much to do actually - just having a means to
> switch between resources would be sufficient. That means could be a
> button underneath the video or a second tab with the video and lets
> the user change between the main video and it's auditory-only
> counterpart. I wonder if we even need special accessibility features
> for this.

The idea we have long talked about to use media queries on a <source> element to label the accessibility features of its resource could be very useful here. It would allow an author to include videos with and without open audio descriptions in the markup:

   <video controls>
       <source src="trailer_with_open_captions.m4v" media="accessibility(audiodescription:yes)" >
       <source src="trailer.m4v">
   </video>

and the user agent will automatically choose the captioned file if the user's preferences say they want them.

eric