Re: providing a long description using the summary and details elements.

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:43:29 -0500
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Leif,

>> Sidebar: Something to keep in mind for the examples is that charts and
>> graphs are not usually interchangeable with data tables so they don't
>> usually make good long descriptions.
>
>   [ snip ]
>> Joe Clark talked about this a few years ago in a WCAG comment. [1]
>> WCAG revised their example after his comment to:
>>
>> "A bar chart compares how many widgets were sold in June, July, and
>> August. The short label says, "Figure one - Sales in June, July and
>> August." The longer description identifies the type of chart, provides
>> a high-level summary of the data, trends and implications comparable
>> to those available from the chart. Where possible and practical, the
>> actual data is provided in a table."
>
> Doesn't seem sidebar to me ... Rather, it is material info and
> justification for having a way to identify to a long description.

Yes it is very material to the longdesc function but a sidebar to
Steve's  code example of basically:

<details>
<summary>Image</summary>
Long Description.
</details>

If that could work without a disclosure triangle or any visual
indication of a long description being present and without any
JavaScript or CSS hacka, it might work for an in-page longdesc.

But @longdesc already does that. And @longdesc does it out of page
too. We need both.