Re: ISSUE 30 @longdesc use cases

Silvia Pfeiffer, Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:00:19 +1000:
´>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:34:06 +0200, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
wrote:

> The only Websites that I have seen that use a link to a description
> are Government Websites or Websites of Government-like organisations
> that are not so worreid about their design, but very worried about
> meeting WCAG requirements. I think it is being looked at as
> non-elegant. For example, I am yet to find images on Apple's Websites
> that have even a non-empty @alt attribute, not to speak of a detailed
> description link.
>
> What I am mostly wondering about is whether in future we want to use
> things like @longdesc or prefer to use @aria-described-by. Having
> both doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Several differences between @longdesc and @aria-describedby have
already been described - in the poll (by Gez) as well as just now, by
John. [1]

In addition, some are contemplating adding something like a @aria-link
attribute in the next version of ARIA. (This idea are sometimes
presented as "making aria-describedby capable of containing links",
however, Charles gives a more credible outlook when he described it as:
[2] “having exactly the same attribute, with a new name, available on
more elements, in some unspecified future when ARIA 2 is ready”. (Note
that ARIA also has an alternative to @alt - @aria-label, which hasn't
lead us to remove @alt.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/036901cb4330$2307b530$69171f90$@edu

[2] http://www.w3.org/mid/op.vhcirn1zwxe0ny@widsith.local