W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2010

Re: Media Telecon Minutes for Wednesday 18 August

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:26:27 +1000
Message-ID: <AANLkTikuHbFFsyqnWMejEXTp1T34qNzRNiKqc-drCJ+t@mail.gmail.com>
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Just a note on the information that "Mozilla just announced smil support
beginning next nightly build".

I believe that relates to the following bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485157 .
This bug fix just means that animations in SVG will now react to mouseover
and similar events in the begin and end attributes.

This bug fix won't have an effect on the work we do here IIUC. It doesn't
even mean that <video> will be supported in SVG in Firefox yet, which is
something that Opera already does. It only says that animations can now be
started and stopped with browser events, which is great because it's a
feature that other browsers already support and it's great to see Firefox
follow.

If somebody has more and differing information, I'd be keen to know.

Cheers,
Silvia.


On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Minutes from today's HTML-A11Y Task Force Media Subteam are provided
> below in text. They're also available in html from:
> http://www.w3.org/2010/08/18-html-a11y-minutes.html
>
>   W3C
>
>                                                           - DRAFT -
>
>                                                       HTML-A11Y telecon
>
> 18 Aug 2010
>
>   See also: IRC log
>
> Attendees
>
>   Present
>          Judy, Janina, John_Foliot, Eric_Carlson, silvia, Sean_Hayes
>
>   Regrets
>   Chair
>          John_Foliot
>
>   Scribe
>          janina
>
> Contents
>
>     * Topics
>         1. Identify Scribe
>         2. Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
>         3. User Requirements Status & Next Steps
>         4. Synchronizing Asynchronous Alternative Media Resources Followup
>         5. next meetings, confirm date/time, choose scribe
>         6. WebSRT Overview
>     * Summary of Action Items
>
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
>   <scribe> agenda: this
>
>   agenda CandidateGap Analysis: WebSRT; WMML, Etc.
>
> Identify Scribe
>
>   <scribe> scribe: janina
>
>   jf: Emphasize that all user reqs are reqs, however what the tech
> implications are is what we might profitably
>   prioritize.
>
>   jb: Expect my and Janina's edits to the user reqs doc by
>
>   Friday
>
>   jf: We agree to drop the other two actions assigned to Judy. ...
>
>   action-32: drop
>
>   <trackbot> ACTION-32 Follow up w/ Gunnar Hellstrom on comprehensiveness
> of secondary signed channel requirements notes
>   added
>
>   action-43: drop
>
>   <trackbot> ACTION-43 Seek deaf-blind representation in requirements
> gathering process notes added
>
> Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
>
>   <scribe> ACTION: judy to find location for ncam extended description
> demos [recorded in
>   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/18-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
>
>   <trackbot> Created ACTION-53 - Find location for ncam extended
> description demos [on Judy Brewer - due 2010-08-25].
>
>   js: We have examples of extended descriptions from NCAM that are about 10
> years old and we have permission to make them
>   available to the W3C public.
>
>   jb: I specifically asked for content we could share.
>
>   js: I confirmed that
>
>   jf: This is exciting, gives us something to illustrate what we're talking
> about.
>   ... Also, we should note that Mozilla just announced smil support
> beginning next nightly build.
>   ... Comment came from Chris Blizzard.
>
>   jb: Q to Sean and/or Eric: Is this demo helpful to you?
>
>   sh: I've built similar demo for my use. We can add as another data point.
>
>   ec: Don't think it will give me anything I don't have now, but think it
> will be extremely useful going forward.
>
>   <JF> Silvia: great to get these content files together not just for
> demos, but for testing as well
>
>   <JF> for testing the funcitionality of the browsers
>
>   <JF> Judy to follow up to ensure that Geoff's NCAM files can be used for
> that purpose
>
>   <silvia> ACTION: judy to follow up that NCAM files can be used in HTML5
> testbed [recorded in
>   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/18-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
>
>   <trackbot> Created ACTION-54 - Follow up that NCAM files can be used in
> HTML5 testbed [on Judy Brewer - due
>   2010-08-25].
>
>   <JF> Janina will secure the files and temporarily host on her personal
> server
>
> User Requirements Status & Next Steps
>
> Synchronizing Asynchronous Alternative Media Resources Followup
>
> next meetings, confirm date/time, choose scribe
>
> WebSRT Overview
>
>   sp: WebSRT is written so that it wouldn't prevent other formats'
> coexistence
>   ... has tracks similar to our previous proposed tracks
>
>   jf: are there significant difference in the track element?
>
>   sp: we were grouping alternatives. This was deemed too complex. Sees all
> externals individually, and can enable any
>   one, or all
>   ... very flexible now, and i don't have a problem with it.
>
>   jb: Are you saying it seems to address most of our user reqs?
>
>   jf: Will it allow us to deliver our reqs?
>
>   jb: It's a clarification.
>
>   sp: Yes.
>   ... supports external text tracks similar to ours;
>   ... Whether it meets all, will take more analysis, think the answer now
> is "probably yes."
>
>   ec: One place it does not meet our reqs is that it is currently
> restricted to text files, mainly because that's all the
>   spec addresses at this point.
>   ... Should also work for video and audio alternatives.
>   ... I believe it's clear Ian was thinking about that.
>
>   sp: He's solving the text stuff now.
>
>   jb: Our requirements were explicit on external files?
>
>   sp: yes
>
>   jf: It's explicit that we support sign language translation, and as an
> external file
>
>   <silvia> (PP-4) Typically, alternative content resources are created by
> different entities to the ones that create the
>   media content. They may even be in different countries and not be allowed
> to re-publish the other one's content. It is
>   important to be able to host these resources separately, associate them
> together through the Web page author, and
>   eventually play them back synchronously to the user.
>
>   jf: track element seems ok?
>
>   sp: minor things, but mostly good
>
>   jb: and we're still planning to create a matrix that allows to check item
> by item against our user reqs?
>
>   [general agreement]
>
>   js: Perhaps we should invite Ian to present WebSRT to us?
>
>   [group response, yes, in the future -- perhaps severla weeks]sp: Next
> thing is a javascript api
>
>   sp: we had such a proposal
>   ... Ian's js more comprehensive than ours
>   ... deals with integratin issues, includes dynamically created text
> tracks as well as internal and external text tracks
>   ... Seems to be a requirement for this from some people.
>
>   jf: Is that leveraging local storage? For later repurposing?
>
>   sp: I suppose you could.
>
>   sh: Who expressed this requirement?
>
>   jb: I strongly support us capturing this to our reqs.
>   ... Wondering if we should also capture real time video description
>
>   sh: I'm still missing the connect that we inject via js ...
>
>   jb: There's a common use of captioning in real time
>
>   sp: I could ask how realtime captioning is envisioned on the what list
>   ... there are things in websrt i find problematic, such as styling in the
> js
>   ... what we have now is ian's first draft -- he usually waits several
> weeks before coming back to it and incorporating
>   feedback
>   ... next, websrt rendering ...
>   ... there's spec on how to render captions and subtitles, all that's
> addressed so far
>   ... only rendering is over the top of the video
>   ... i've started a discussion on this as this isn't adequate -- user
> should be able to define where the rendering
>   occurs
>
>   jf: 3PlayMedia media player has a two panel approach, transcript on right
> panel, video on left
>   ... word being spoken is highlighted in transcript
>
>   sp: ian's point is that this is a specialized display and authors can
> easily create their own display
>
>   jb: issue of caption positioning is a common concern.
>   ... did we sufficiently capture positioning as user disposes?
>   ... do we also have the highlighting?
>
>   [general agreement to explicitly state a req on highlighting in captions,
> transcripts, text alternatives}
>
>   sp: do we need text with audio?
>
>   jf: we've mentioned this in the past in several use cases
>
>   ec: i think this isn't quite right, you can't have caption in audio
> element, but you could sync text to the audio
>
>   sp: as it stands, there's no rendered video port during audio playback,
> but we need to provide one in the case of
>   captioning for audio
>
>   ec: believe the current approach is put into a video element if you want
> captioning with audio
>
>   js: it's important that we allow third party to provide and for the user
> to elect for captions. this wouldn't support
>   changing from audio to video element
>
>   jf: perfect use case here at stanford. it happens all the time
>
>   ec: but at each step of that content development chain, somebody has to
> update something on the web
>   ... the person who makes the content available, whether original author
> or third part, they have to update a web page
>   to point to those files
>   ... party providing caption needs to wrap the mpeg href in video element
> on the page where the captions are provided.
>   the source page needn't be changed.
>
>   sh: so, how do you pause audio if no visual rendering?
>
>   sp: there's a controls attrib
>   ... turning on controls, there's something rendered.
>
>   sh: we should also have visual if i add tracks
>
>   jf: if audio doesn't have track, it needn't display. but as soon as it
> has track, there should be display region
>
>   sp: i think the logic should be different ... should be based on controls
>
>   ec: if we depend on ctrols, so that displaying controls renders captions,
> should not also video tracks inside the file
>   with visual media should also show?
>
>   sp: don't think so, it's put into audio element for a reason. controls
> should bring up controls, and caption because
>   it's a visual descript of the audio
>
>   ec: don't agree.
>
>   js: do we have enough to meet next week?
>
>   jf: i know silvia wants to develop this further.
>
>   [agreement to meet next week]
>
>   jf: a few minutes to look at controls ...
>
>   sp: perhaps eric and i can discuss of this on list?
>
>   ec: certainly
>
>   sp: last is the websrt format itself, not enough time today, perhaps next
> week?
>   ... pros and cons of the file format itself ...
>
>   jf: also need a serious look at ttml and at smil3
>   ... as has been pointed out svg is using subset of smil, and as I
> mentioned, mozilla is about to support smil
>   ... we should give all these a fair analysis and review
>
>   jb: we need to not just take the one we land on first -- we should
> schedule our talks through the others, so we're
>   complete in our review
>   ... would like to know more about mozilla sml support
>
>   jf: absolutely
>
>   sp: if not enough people next week, perhaps we can invite ian for an
> intro
>
>   jf: sean, any thought of who to invite for ttml?
>
>   sh: i've been working on a doc mapping ttml -- should be ready in about a
> week.
>
>   [agreement that we could invite ian as soon as sep 8]
>
>   [we have sep 1 to discuss mapping matrix]
>
>   sounds right, silvia
>
>   adjourning
>
>   rrsagent make log public
>
> Summary of Action Items
>
>   [NEW] ACTION: judy to find location for ncam extended description demos
> [recorded in
>   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/18-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
>   [NEW] ACTION: judy to follow up that NCAM files can be used in HTML5
> testbed [recorded in
>   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/18-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
>
>   [End of minutes]
>
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> --
>
> Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
>                sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net<sip%3Ajanina@asterisk.rednote.net>
>
> Chair, Open Accessibility       janina@a11y.org
> Linux Foundation                http://a11y.org
>
> Chair, Protocols & Formats
> Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
> World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
>
>
>
Received on Saturday, 21 August 2010 13:27:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:13 UTC