Re: Notice of impending Formal Objection to Issue 30 Decision (@longdesc)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:06:15 -0700
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
I'm not usually one to raise points of grammar, spelling, or semantics, but since it's come up twice on the same thread on the same day, I think it's worth pointing out that

   "begging the question"

does NOT mean "raising the question" but means "assuming the answer in the question" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question>

I trip up on it every time it occurs, as it appears to be pointing out poor debate practice.

On Aug 12, 2010, at 21:17 , John Foliot wrote:
> Which begs another question:

just a tidbit, and I am sure that the chairs (and other participants) prefer that debate of grammar, semantics etc. continue (if at all) off list.

David Singer