Re: Discussion: Text Alternative Survey

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:41:41 -0500
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Dave,

>> I think this is a fair compromise between the people who value
>> accessibility, and the ones who don't, but still want to be valid. Either
>> way, they need to do something in line with their preference in order to
>> validate.
>
> So, did the proposal include adding such an attribute?

As I mentioned [1], Both "generated" and "missing" attributes were in
earlier versions of the change proposal. I took them out at the
request of the people who attended the face-to-face meeting. I'm not
sure why they wanted them out. The missing text was very similar to:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/IssueAltAttribute#Missing_Attribute
So it would need improvement.

Missing could go into a separate Change Proposal or returned to this
one if people think it is a good idea and we can iron out the
technical details and get the text right.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Apr/0231.html