Re: Text associations for HTML5 video/audio

From: Dick Bulterman <Dick.Bulterman@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:25:56 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Silvia and Sean,

Here is the bottom line on the proposal that I made:
a) we should have a well-defined selection mechanism for alternative
content that is scalable.
b) the processing should not include special-purpose processing for
historical reasons, if possible.
c) it should be possible to reference embedded and external text tracks.

I think that it would be productive to talk thru these issue in a
teleconference, rather that converse via text, since this introduces
assumptions that may not be valid. I'm happy to this in a large or small
group.

One of the things that has been bugging me most in thinking about this
is that the addition of text associations into the <audio>/<video>
object (whichever way we go) is actually a kludge: it is a way of
avoiding temporal composition of text along with other media. Cramming
this into the video element is actually not the right way to go: it is a
stop-gap measure that has no real chances for extensibility. I would
much rather look at a real solution to the composition problem, since
this would much better need the needs of accessibility (and other) use
cases.

-d.