Re: Candidate TF Resolution: ISSUE-30 longdesc

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:50:00 -0400
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
John Foliot writes:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >

> > Why would we want to drop it in a future version but not this version?
> > It would be helpful to make clear the criteria under which we would
> > consider longdesc="" suitable for removal.
>
> If/when aria-described by supports URLs as well as IDREFs then the
> criteria for deprecating @longdesc would be met. There is discussion that
> this might happen in ARIA 2.0, but given that ARIA 1.0 is now closed to
> further comments (Deadline was Feb. 2, 2010) we will likely not see this
> in ARIA 1.0. This is covered in the Draft Resolution, but omitted in your
> response:
>
>    RESOLUTION: We do not want to change aria-describedby to support
> descriptions in a separate page in the ARIA 1.0 time frame.
>
>    RESOLUTION: aria-describedby should be enhanced in the ARIA 2.0 time
> frame to support external descriptions (out of page).

And, an ARIA 2.0 issue was created on this very point during the
Birmingham Face to Face ...

ISSUE-411 (aria-describedby for longdesc): Expand aria-describedby to
support longdesc functionality [ARIA 2.0]

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/411

Raised by: Richard Schwerdtfeger
On product: ARIA 2.0

Expand aria-describedby to support a URL as well as a local id. This was
raised to be able to replace longdesc in HTML. On the
+April 10, 2010 Face to Face meetings in Birmingham.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net