Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
> As I mentioned on this week's TF telcon, it seems the discussion
> about the Media Text Associations proposal has reached a point
> where it would be useful to try a call for consensus on the
> proposal, and to give everyone in the TF a chance to respond to
> that CfC, and to have any points of disagreement with it recorded
> and reviewed in the TF.
>
> So, this is a call for consensus within the HTML a11y task force
> to record a resolution supporting the following Change Proposal:
>
>  Media Text Associations
>  http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations
>
> The "Media Text Associations" change proposal relates to HTML WG issue 9:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/9
>
> To quote from the proposal's Summary section:
>
>  This is a proposal to extend the HTML5 declarative markup for
>  media elements with markup to reference external associated and
>  time-synchronous text resources. The aim is in particular to
>  reference in a standard way external captions, subtitle, and
>  possibly textual audio descriptions, as well as possibly other
>  time-aligned text such as lyrics, karaoke, or ticker text.
>
>  Similar markup could potentially be used in future for external
>  synchronised audio and video resources too, but it is too early
>  to experiment with these.
>
> Please read the entire contents of the current proposal; then, if
> you have specific points of disagreement with the proposal which
> you want to have recorded and considered by the TF, please send
> them by e-mail to this list.
>
>  --Mike

Hi all,

I have made some further improvements to the Media Textassociations
proposal (http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations)
to include the feedback given in this thread and elsewhere.

In particular I have:

* included a sentences that the text in a track should be available to
assistive technology when visible (Sean's #2 feedback)

* introduced a rendering section that explains the styling default and
overrides and that rendered text should not be obscured by controls
(Sean's #1 and #5 feedback and successive discussion)

* specified a minimum height of 100px on an audio element with active
text tracks (Sean's #4 feedback)

* made clear that the external track is slaved to the main resource's
timeline (Sean's #6 feedback)

* also added here more particularly that if a text track is longer
than the resource's timeline, anything beyond the end of the timeline
is ignored (Dick's feedback)

* included a sentence on the default rendering area (Sean's #7 feedback)

* added link to "requirements" document into file formats section

* added path to implementation of TTML, starting with transformation profile

Note that I've not added the @extent attribute, since Philip stated
how to avoid letterboxing.

Also note that all of this feedback are minor improvements on the
specification text and haven't caused any change to the declarative
specification.

Best Regards,
Silvia.