Re: RESOLUTION to modify text alternative change proposal and reject WAI CG's consensus recommendation

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:11:57 -0400
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Laura Carlson writes:
> When the W3C validator throws an error for a missing alt the students
> and developers that I work with, finally get it through their heads
> that text alternatives are mandatory not just for WCAG but as well for
> valid HTML. It makes a BIG impression.

As I understood things, this would not be available to us in the HTML 5
conformance checker. There would be no way to know what triggered the
error. Something did, but specifically triggered it is not identified.

To continue this behavior in HTML 5 conformance checking, and to get the
additional direct pointers to WCAG, we had to agree to warning rather
than error.

Janina