Re: RESOLUTION to modify text alternative change proposal and reject WAI CG's consensus recommendation

From: 'Janina Sajka' <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:13:04 -0400
To: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, "'Laura Carlson'" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "'Janina Sajka'" <janina@rednote.net>, "'Michael(tm) Smith'" <mike@w3.org>, "'Michael Cooper'" <cooper@w3.org>, "'Judy Brewer'" <jbrewer@w3.org>, "wai-cg@w3.org" <wai-cg@w3.org>
Cynthia Shelly writes:
> First, on the resolutions... Those are F2F resolutions, which are to be discussed on the list this week, with final resolutions made at the telecon on Thursday morning next.  I'll let Janina, Mike and Michael speak to that in more detail.
>
> Second, on the proposal itself.  My main worry about warnings is that, particularly in HTML 5, there are an awful lot of warnings, about an awful lot of things which are far less important than alt text.  I worry about the teachable moment being lost is a sea of less important warnings.

By agreeing to warning, we have hopefully negotiated a specific WCAG
pointer. Had we stuck insisting on error, we would not have gotten that,
or so we were strongly advised. In fact, the error would have been
imprecise. It would have just said "error," with no indication of what
the error was, let alone of where to find an explanation.

So, the choice came down to a judgement call between political parity
but without the opportunity to teach the appropriate remedy, or the
normative warning that pointed directly to WCAG.

Inequitable when viewed against how a missing src is treated? Perhaps
so. I certainly think so. I say it quanitifes the inequity. But, would I
rather the teaching opportunity, even in the midst of other warnings?
Yes, that's how I came to change my vote.

Clearly, we need to discuss this further. I'm sorry everyone on TF was
unable to join us for the Face to Face. But, we always knew that
wouldn't happen.

Janina