Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

On Apr 6, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Geoff Freed wrote:
>>>
>>> Ditto here:  captions and controls should never cover or come into contact
>>> with each other.  It’s of lesser importance whether the captions and
>>> controls move to avoid covering each other, or if the captions and controls
>>> remain in fixed and separate regions.  For an example of the latter, see any
>>> captioned video at http://www.hulu.com; for the former (in addition to
>>> Silvia’s example), download Hulu desktop at
>>> http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop .
>>
>>   I agree that controls should not cover captions, but I don't think we
>> *can* describe exactly how to handle the situation when they do. For example
>> what should happen when a UA uses a movable, "HUD style", controller?
>> eric
>
> I am only concerned with the default controls that appear when the
> @controls attribute is used. I believe we can mandate for this
> situation that the captions should always stay above the default
> controls. What a Web developer does with custom controls is out of our
> control anyway and they would need to make sure that if they provide
> captions it will still work for their audience.
>
> Maybe we do need to prescribe more specific recommendations on the
> @control. Maybe that the controls should overlap only the bottom part
> of the video up to a certain percentage? This is how it is currently
> implemented by all browsers, so shouldn't be a problem.

  We can not assume that controls will always be along the bottom of the media element, as I noted earlier WebKit already uses a movable HUD for fullscreen video. The default position is not at the bottom of the video, but it can be placed anywhere by the user.

eric