Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

From: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:22:35 -0400
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

On 4/3/10 10:24 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sean,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com> wrote:

> "I am not sure how to pick the default height for the default rendering area for audio elements, though. Maybe there is a default from TV that could be re-used."
> Digital radio might be a better place to look, as TV pretty much always assumes a picture, even if it's a still.

I have listened to radio on a TV, but you are of course right. I've
tried finding out how text works on DAB and mostly just came across a
one-line scrolling text capability (as is being used in car radios).
That probably won't be sufficient for reading captions, so maybe
something more like 3-4 lines or whatever is used on TV might be more
appropriate. Again, keen on other people's opinions here.

Note that the technology to transmit captions via HD radio does in fact exist.   NCAM, WGBH and other partners tested such a service in the US in November of 2008.  The tests themselves were successful, and the service was enthusiastically received by deaf and hard-of-hearing audiences around the country.  A press release can be found at http://ncam.wgbh.org/about/news/deaf-and-hard-of-hearing-users  .