Re: a11y TF CfC on resolution to support "Media Text Associations" change proposal for HTML issue 9

From: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:22:35 -0400
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

On 4/3/10 10:24 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sean,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com> wrote:

> "I am not sure how to pick the default height for the default rendering area for audio elements, though. Maybe there is a default from TV that could be re-used."
> Digital radio might be a better place to look, as TV pretty much always assumes a picture, even if it's a still.

I have listened to radio on a TV, but you are of course right. I've
tried finding out how text works on DAB and mostly just came across a
one-line scrolling text capability (as is being used in car radios).
That probably won't be sufficient for reading captions, so maybe
something more like 3-4 lines or whatever is used on TV might be more
appropriate. Again, keen on other people's opinions here.

GF:
Note that the technology to transmit captions via HD radio does in fact exist.   NCAM, WGBH and other partners tested such a service in the US in November of 2008.  The tests themselves were successful, and the service was enthusiastically received by deaf and hard-of-hearing audiences around the country.  A press release can be found at http://ncam.wgbh.org/about/news/deaf-and-hard-of-hearing-users  .