Re: timing model of the media resource in HTML5

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:43:39 +0100, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Nov 25, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>

>>> My thinking is that <overlay> should be the container of overlay
>>> content whether it is from an external subtitle file or from HTML.
>>> When an external subtitle file is used the element acts as if it
>>> had a single text node child with the content of the current text
>>> from the subtitle file.
>>>
>>> In the absence of an external file the content of the element is
>>> shown as "fallback", which can then easily be set using script.
>>>
>>   Thanks, that makes sense.
>>
>>   I think <overlay> should be used for internal subtitle and/or
>> closed caption tracks as well. Further, I think that we will want
>> them to "just work" so a UA should create an <overlay> element if
>> the markup doesn't have one and it finds that a file has internal
>> captions/subtitles:
>>
>>     <video src='my-captioned-movie'> </video>
>>

> Yes, that sounds good. One issue is how to style such an implicit
> <overlay>. Should one actually include an <overlay> in the markup
> and somehow indicate that it can/should be used to render in-band
> subtitles from the resource?
>
> <video src="my-captioned-movie">
>  <caption style="font-weight:bold" magic-attribute></caption>
> </video>
>
> Not awesome. Perhaps a new CSS pseudo-selector could be used? Other
> ideas?

Can we come up with a name for the <overlay> element that sounds less
presentational? I think the fact that the element sounds purely
presentational may come up as an issue when this proposal is taken
back to the full Working Group.

(Also, the name "overlay" implies that this is the only way to add an
overlay to video content, but in fact any content can be positioned
over the video and will composite properly. So it doesn't even really
have the presentational function that its name implies.)

Regards,
Maciej