Re: timing model of the media resource in HTML5

On Nov 25, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:01:27 +0100, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Nov 25, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>
>>> Below I focus on the HTML-specific parts:
>>>
>>> Captions/subtitles... The main problem of reusing <source> is that
>>> it doesn't work with the resource selection algorithm.[1] However,
>>> that algorithm only considers direct children of the media
>>> element, so adding a wrapping element would solve this problem and
>>> allow us to spec different rules for selecting timed-text sources.
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> <video>
>>> <source src="video.ogg" type="video/ogg">
>>> <source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4">
>>> <overlay>
>>>   <source src="en.srt" lang="en-US">
>>>   <source src="hans.srt" lang="zh-CN">
>>> </overlay>
>>> </video>
>>>
>>> We could possibly allow <overlay src="english.srt"></overlay> as a
>>> shorthand when there is only one captions file, just like the
>>> video <video src=""></video> shorthand.
>>>
>>> I'm suggesting <overlay> instead of e.g. <itext> because I have
>>> some special behavior in mind: when no (usable) source is found in
>>> <overlay>, the content of the element should be displayed
>>> overlayed on top of the video element as if it were inside a CSS
>>> box of the same size as the video. This gives authors a simple way
>>> to display overlay content such as custom controls and complex
>>> "subtitles" like animated karaoke to work the same both in normal
>>> rendering and in fullscreen mode. (I don't know what kind of CSS
>>> spec magic would be needed to allow such rendering, but I don't
>>> believe overlaying the content is very difficult implementation-
>>> wise.)
>>>
>>  I like the idea of an <overlay> element, but I don't understand
>> what you are proposing for when no usable source is found. Can you
>> elaborate please?
>>

> My thinking is that <overlay> should be the container of overlay
> content whether it is from an external subtitle file or from HTML.
> When an external subtitle file is used the element acts as if it had
> a single text node child with the content of the current text from
> the subtitle file.
>
> In the absence of an external file the content of the element is
> shown as "fallback", which can then easily be set using script.

   Thanks, that makes sense.

   I think <overlay> should be used for internal subtitle and/or
closed caption tracks as well. Further, I think that we will want them
to "just work" so a UA should create an <overlay> element if the
markup doesn't have one and it finds that a file has internal captions/
subtitles:

     <video src='my-captioned-movie'> </video>

eric