W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > December 2009

Re: Agenda: HTML-A11Y telcon 10 December 2009 at 16:00Z - ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria

From: Henny Swan <hennys@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:53:00 +0000
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Message-Id: <08ADF6E8-D8AB-4CAA-A53B-3D10EABA2589@opera.com>
To: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Regrets, I will be user testing this week.

Henny

On 9 Dec 2009, at 11:32, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> ** preliminary agenda for this week's HTML-A11Y telcon **
>
> Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon
> Chair: Michael(tm)_Smith
> agenda+ identify scribe
> agenda+ review agenda
> agenda+ ARIA-in-HTML5 document-conformance criteria
> agenda+ reports from TF Subgroups (Canvas; Video; ...)
> agenda+ review open issues
> agenda+ next meeting, confirm date/time, choose scribe
> agenda+ any other business
>
> To check for the time of this meeting in your time zone:
>  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=12&day=3&year=2009&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
>
> In regards to the third agenda item above (ARIA-in-HTML5
> document-conformance criteria):
>
> 1. Terminology. We've used the terms "ARIA mappings" and "ARIA
>   integration" in discussions, but I suggest that the precise
>   description for what I think we need to make it a priority for
>   the HTML-A11Y TF to discuss this week is the specific topic of
>   "ARIA-in-HTML5 document conformance criteria".
>
> 2. Goal. I think the goal of our discussion of this topic on the
>   HTML-A11Y TF telcon this week should be to put together a plan for
>   arriving at consensus among the TF members on this question:
>
>     Question: What exact document-conformance criteria should the
>     HTML5 specification provide with regard to integration of
>     ARIA attributes into the HTML language; including, what ARIA
>     attributes should be allowed where, and what specific
>     restrictions on use of particular ARIA attributes on
>     particular HTML elements should the HTML5 spec provide.
>
>   Note that whatever consensus decision/resolution on that
>   question that we produce from the HTML-A11Y TF will not be
>   binding on the HTML WG but will be documented and provided to
>   the HTML WG chairs and group as a work product of the TF.
>
> 3. Documents. In forming the discussion for item #2 above, we have
>   two particular instances of concrete text related to
>   ARIA-in-HTML5 document conformance that merit special interest:
>
>     A. The "Annotations for assistive technology products (ARIA)"
>     section of the HTML5 draft specification:
>     http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-0.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria
>
>     B. The draft document "Document conformance suggestions for
>     ARIA roles and properties in HTML 5" from Steven Faulkner:
>     http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/ARIA/html5-elements1.html
>
> If possible, please take time to look at both of those documents
> prior to the telcon, and be prepared to participate in an informed
> discussion of them on the call.
>
> I suggest that we take part of the time on the call to look at
> those two documents together as a group and make some comparisons
> between them, noting points on which they are currently in
> conflict and having an initial discussion about what changes
> should be made to either or both of them.
>
> I suggest also that on the call, we try to set some deadlines for
> getting resolution on the goal in item #2 above, and for reporting
> back to the group about this topic.
>
> It may be that discussion of this topic will consume the full hour
> we have for the call, and so we might not have time to discuss
> some of the remaining agenda items (reports from TF Subgroups,
> review of open issues) this week.
>
>  --Mike
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> General HTML A11Y Task Force Information
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Resource: Task Force Home Page
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Resource: Task Force Work Statement
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/html-task-force.html
>
> ** conference infrastructure access information a.k.a. dial-in
> instructions
>
> Reference: http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_273
>
> 2009-12-03, 16:00Z (for 60 minutes)
> Dial the Zakim bridge at one of the following three telephone numbers:
> +1 (617) 761-6200 (This is a USA number).
> +33.4.89.06.34.99 (This is a French number)
> +44.117.370.6152 (This is a UK number)
> You should be prompted for a pass code,
> this is
> 2119#
> (A11Y#)
>
> IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #html-a11y.
>
> During the conference you can manage your participation with Zakim
> commands as follows:
>   61# to mute yourself
>   60# to unMute yourself
>   41# to raise your hand (enter speaking queue)
>   40# to lower your hand (exit speaking queue)
>
> The system acknowledges these commands with a rapid, three-tone
> confirmation.  Mobile phone users especially should use the mute
> function
> if they don't have a mute function in their phone.  But the hand- 
> raising
> function is a good idea for anyone not using IRC.
>
> * IRC access
>
>     There will also be an IRC channel available. The server is
> irc.w3.org,
>     the port number is 6665 (note this is not the normal default) and
> the channel is #html-a11y.
>
> * Gregory Rosmaita's scribing and participation tips
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet
>
> For more on the IRC setup and the robots we use for agenda and speaker
> queuing and for posting the log to the web, see:
>
> - for RRSAgent, that captures and posts the log with special attention
> to action items:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent
>
> - for Zakim, the IRC interface to the bridge manager, that will
> maintain speaker and agenda queues:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot
>
> - for a Web gateway to IRC you can use if your network administrators
> forbid IRC, see:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
>
> - for more on W3C use of IRC see:
> http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> -- 
> Michael(tm) Smith
> http://people.w3.org/mike/
>
>




-- 
Henny Swan
Web Evangelist
Member of W3C Web Accessibility Initiative User Agent Accessibility  
Guidelines Working Group
www.opera.com/developer

Personal blog: www.iheni.com

Stay up to date with the Web Standards Curriculum www.opera.com/wsc
Received on Wednesday, 9 December 2009 11:55:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:41:57 GMT