Re: CHANGE PROPOSAL: Table Summary

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:45:53 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Ian and John,

Ian Hickson wrote:

> I'm not arguing with the principle; I'm arguing with this
> application of the principle.

If I recall correctly, Ian didn't you argue the same against restoring
the table headers attribute for a year and a half and yet ended up
restoring @headers in the spec making it conforming?

If that is correct from your perspective, what is the difference
between the @headers issue [1] and the @summary issue [2]? They are
both accessibility accommodations. What is the difference in applying
the principle in the two cases?

Thanks.

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueTableHeaders
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/SummaryForTABLE