Re: timing model of the media resource in HTML5

Reordered and out of context, sorry...

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:04:27 +0100, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
wrote:

> GF:  Hasn't this already been dealt with SMIL (including smilText
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL3/smil-text.html) ) and DFXP, using <region>
> and CSS?  Is there no way to simply re-use syntax from these markups?

> GF:  Not sure I understand what you mean by authors wanting to handle
> captions themselves.  Do you mean authors may want to time/synchronize
> the captions themselves?  Based on a broadcast model, the answer is
> yes-- authors will either have timed the captions themselves, or
> repurposed previously timed captions.  If so, can't we use SMIL and/or
> DFXP as timing models and threat the whole thing declaratively?

> GF:  I, too, am in favor of a declarative approach.  Again, unless I'm
> missing an obvious point, why can't timing markup from SMIL be used?
> Why invent something new?

SMIL and DFXP are certainly candidates for external formats to support.
The requirements for the declarative markup in HTML are still quite
unclear, but the complexity of both SMIL and DFXP seem *way* beyond what
we need (simple styling and scripting hooks).

> GF:  I don't believe there is a use case for this.  Authors synchronize
> captions with the audio for a good reason.  Giving users the ability to
> alter timing information will only lead to confusion when the captions
> are no longer in sync with the audio.  As for altering contents:  unless
> I'm misunderstanding your question, you're talking about actually
> changing the contents of the *captions*, yes?  If so, that immediately
> raises copyright issues- in this case, altering captions that belong to
> someone else-- and you don't want any part of that.   I don't think
> there's any reason to allow alteration of content.

Copyright is a non-issue, just apply the cross-origin policy as
appropriate. It is the exact situation as modifying images in <canvas>,
modifying the contents of an <iframe>, etc. Whether or not the complexity
is justified by the use cases is another questions.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer