Getting things to happen Re: is this group alive?

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 21:31:34 +0200, Paul Tykodi <ptykodi@tykodi.com> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, there was a proposal that suggested developing an
> HTML standard for email that would force the use of no-quirks mode might
> be helpful.
>
> It was recently moved to a new location.
>
> I’m not sure whether it might get more visibility in its new home or not.
>
> https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/253
>
> https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/255
>
> I don’t know whether people reading this list will find anything useful
> in the proposal or not.

As one of the chairs of Web Platform, the group dealing with HTML, I find
it useful to be reminded that this is interesting to people.

To move that forward, it would help to identify what different platforms
do now. Some of the people on this list run mail platforms - I'll try to
rouse them. I suspect the hard part will be convincing people who make
"standalone" mail clients - as opposed to webmail apps - to change.

And as a standalone app I personally use Opera Mail, which is sadly
unmaintained for several years now and not going to change.

On the other hand, it seems worth drawing attention to the issue for
people who do maintain clients, and there are plenty of those about too.

> Also CSS support in some of the most frequently used HTML email clients
> is summarized here:
>
> https://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

At some point they kindly gave us permission to use that data. We started
to extend it at https://github.com/W3CGHtmail/compat-tables but the effort
didn't happen :( It would be good to move that forward again.

> Suggestions for accessibility testing for HTML email is mentioned in
> this article:
>
> https://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/guides/accessibility/

Yes, that's a good resource - and covers another of my pet bugbears.

I'll start a separate thread on the topic, and try to get some other
accessibility experts to have a look, but I would note here that 200% zoom
is unlikely to be enough for many people. Assuming you haven't set a
default font size, rendering should work when characters are an inch high
(2.5cm for most of us). Real people use fonts that are far bigger than
that, too, but then they tend to strip out styling and so on anyway.

cheers