RE: HTML email and Accessibility

Hi Vic,

In the USA, the financial services industry is required to conform to many different regulations. Specific to accessibility, I have found that financial services organizations will frequently select a web site conformance requirement (Example: WCAG 2.0 AA). From an architectural point of view, one of the challenges then becomes how to develop a Quality Assurance testing process that can act as a safety net to insure that content pushed to a web page actually meets the relevant organizational requirements.

A major regulatory change coming soon in the USA involves a regulation known as Section 508. Sometime this fall, a refresh to the regulation is expected to be published and one of the things it is expected to stipulate is that PDF formatted content made available via a web site will need to meet accessibility conformance guidelines (Example: PDF/UA). This particular PDF focused standard outlines testable criteria so it is reasonably straight forward to build a Quality Assurance test regime to validate whether a PDF meets appropriate accessibility criteria or not.

I have encountered the same difficulties as those captured in this e-mail thread from a few years ago when looking for accessibility conformance guidelines for HTML formatted e-mail: http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?thread=4486

I was wondering whether anyone knew of any standards (like WCAG 2.0), which had been developed to provide accessibility conformance guidelines specific to composing HTML e-mail?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

/Paul

--

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820
Mobile:  603-866-0712
E-mail:   <mailto:ptykodi@tykodi.com> ptykodi@tykodi.com
WWW:   <http://www.tykodi.com/> http://www.tykodi.com

This e-mail reply and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this message

and any attachments. Thank you