Scrolling two elements in parallel

From: Dmitry Sagalovskiy <dmitry@getgrist.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:21:48 -0500
To: public-houdini@w3.org
I am responding to the call for input here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Scroll-linked_effects
..

One effect that I am interested in is to synchronize the scrolling of two
elements. (An example is the "frozen columns" feature of spreadsheets,
where two panes are in separate side-by-side containers but should scroll
in parallel.)

The straightforward way of listening to 'scroll' event on each container,
and updating scrollTop of the other is somewhat janky with synchronous
scrolling, and visibly out-of-sync with asynchronous scrolling.

>From reading that page and scanning some of the linked pages, I didn't find
any recommendations for how to achieve a smooth parallel scroll effect.
(Perhaps "Compositor worker"?) Is there anything that can be used to
achieve this today?

Dmitry