Re: Houdini at TPAC

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 3:14 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/12/15, 1:55 PM, "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> At the Paris meeting we decided to have a Houdini session only during the a plenary day meeting slot. I'm now wondering if we should try to have a more substantial meeting. If I remember, the position against a real meeting was that the specs would not have progressed much by then.
>>
>> However, I think there was a huge benefit to the architectural discussions we had in Paris, especially for features like UI Workers. It was great to see what Google had prepared, and to begin to understand their goals and reasoning. I know at Apple we've spent time digesting the proposal and discussing how it maps to our requirements and architecture. I bet other browsers and developers have too.
>>
>> For this reason I think it's going to be really useful to get together and continue the discussions. I think the Houdini topics, in their current state, benefit from face-to-face discussions much more than many of the regular CSS WG topics. I'm not suggesting the CSS WG topics are less important, just that they tend to be at an advanced stage with discussion mostly about edge cases. Meanwhile UI Workers, Custom Paint, Layout, Font APIS etc are rough proposals that we don't necessarily agree on yet.
>>
>> What do people think? Is there a way we could book more Houdini time at TPAC? Is it too late for the people who were not planning on going to change? Could we take a day of the CSS meeting? A separate room?
>
> The best thing would be to keep the discussions up in the repo and on the mailing list. If you have any conclusions about how things map to your requirements and architecture, let people know now. But I agree that a lot of progress can be made when we meet in person.
>
> It would probably make sense to add particular Houdini topics to the CSSWG agenda IF a significant amount of progress had been made on a particular proposal and/or there were points to wrangle that were not being served well by github issues.
>
> I would also encourage informal exoduses from the main meeting, perhaps organized through the #houdini channel. If we come to a point in the CSSWG agenda where most of the people interested in Custom Paint will merely be sitting at the table checking their email, they should move out and have a hallway discussion.

I guess an important question is whether the relevant people will actually be at TPAC.

On the Apple side, we've internally discussed Custom Paint and UI Workers / Scroll Thingies more than Custom Layout (which seems to me to be a lot further away from reality). That means Shane + Rick + the two Ians from Google, at least. Other people?

Dean