Re: Proposal: Generalized Cascading Sheets

On 30/07/2015 11:08, Chris Lilley wrote:

> To my mind, the resistance to things like selectors for attributes is
> caused by several of:
>
> - people worried this ends up in CSS-the-language, or
> - people worried about spending time on things that css-the-language
> doesn't need

Yes, exactly. About the first item above, they are right, this IS about
adding stuff to CSS-the-language, not CSS-the-styling-mechanism.

We seem to consider the proposed GCS as a "superset" of CSS. I tend to
disagree. We need to shape GCS as the underlying layer CSS is built upon
and to allow other languages using a similar syntax to see the light.
CSS should then be seen as one example of GCS-based languages only.

So I think the GCS name is badly chosen:

  - it's not all about cascading languages (my STTS proposal was not
    cascading). A language based on it could even be all about at-rules
    and not using Selectors at all or weird things like that.

  - it's not about generalizing things, it's about finding the lowest
    common denominator to an existing technology and future ones

I would prefer something like Declarative Sheets or Declarative
Statement Sheets (with it convenient acronym DSS...).

</Daniel>