Re: Font Metrics concerns

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:39:00 +0000
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "public-houdini@w3.org" <public-houdini@w3.org>, Bram Stein <stein@adobe.com>
On 2/10/15, 6:05 PM, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

>With the current spec, what happens to drop caps when the first line
>contains a synthetic superscript?

Sorry for the delay - I thought Dave was going to respond to this.

As currently specified, I don’t believe anything happens to drop caps if a
glyph with synthetic superscript is introduced.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-inline/#sizing-initial-letters

“The contents of the lines spanned, and therefore any variation in their
heights and positions, is not accounted for.”

As I recall the discussion that led to this section, it was thought that
consistent drop cap sizing across paragraphs was more important than
getting the cap height alignment to match. So the height of the drop cap
does only depend on line-height and actual font metrics.

Thanks,

Alan