From: public-hcls-dse-request@w3.org on behalf of Forsberg, Kerstin L
Sent: Tue 9/25/2007 12:15 PM
To: Bron W. Kisler; Landen Bain; Rachel Richesson
Cc: public-hcls-dse@w3.org
Subject: Excellent to hear Bron today on CDISC and Semantic Web

Bron, Landen and Rachel,
just a quick note to express my satisfaction. I was so glad to hear Bron in the W3C HCLS meeting today mentioning the many questions coming up the last couple of months on CDISC and Semantic Web. This is what I have been hoping for and raised in some early notes in the CDISC community 1).

Two examples of things I would like to see happen in CDISC applying the Semantic Web approach and standards are:

*	Would  be great if CDISC would go beyond publishing short names and definitions for e.g. VSTESTCD and LABTESTCD 2) would publish a basic ontology for recordings of Vital Signs Observations and Lab Tests. So, that we as sponsors could extend them with for example drug specific qualifiers, and also add new ones for specific types of observations to be collected and to be used as for example eligibility criteria.

*	A semantic implementation of CDISC/SDTM fundamental model using RDF/XML to enable direct integration of clinical data cross studies. As a step beyond CDISC's current implementation for flat datasets and also beyond the ODM/XML implementations that support exchange of clinical data per study.

Kind Regards

Kerstin Forsberg
Principal Information Architect
Information Strategy, Clinical Information Science
AstraZeneca
KC5, S-431 83 Mölndal, Sweden
Phone: +46  31 7065318
Mob:   +46 708 467495
Mailto:kerstin.l.forsberg@astrazeneca.com
Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/kerstinforsberg

1) 	From XML to RDF: how semantic web technologies may change the design of clinical standards?
	http://www.cdisc.org/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2461&posts=1&start=1
	CDISC and Semantic Web
	http://www.cdisc.org/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?posts=2&tid=2475#bottom

2) 	CDISC Terminologies